Tuesday, January 21, 2014

Tiny Sandwiches -- West Village Style

Every once in a while, it's just time for a sandwich date--or at least, that's what I think now.



My boyfriend and I have been together for several years now. He works from home but works quite hard. And of course I work and have been writing books on the side, which means we have a tendency to just rent a movie or hang out in front of the TV when we have free time. But in an effort for both of us to be less lumpy in 2014, we decided we needed to go on a date.

So when he read about 100 Montaditos, a Spanish chain restaurant (it translates to 100 Sandwiches) that has just opened up in the West Village, we decided to try it out.
























































We met up at 5:30 pm, and it was already packed (either because of the recent glowing reviews or the super cheat food and drinks or maybe both?).



There's a cute little bar where you can order.


And then seating in the back. (It's seat yourself though, so we had to stalk a table--lucky for me, this is the boyfriend's specialty--and there were plenty of people stalking ours right before we left). I didn't get a good picture of the ceiling (I forgot) which has a really cool sky light that will be awesome when it is not 1) winter or 2) super dark, but there's a really cool picture here.

We were slightly overwhelmed--in the best way--by the awesomeness of the menu which features sandwiches for $1-2.50 each. But we decided to order five and then share them all.



We ended up with:

#3 Chorizo, tomato and olive oil
#64 Chorizo, cream cheese and tomato
#73 Philly steak, cheddar cheese and tomato
#87 Le Rele: Brie cheese, ham, arugula, and mayo
#95 Chicken Club: grilled chicken, tomato, lettuce, and mayo on chibata bread

Each sandwich was just slightly smaller than my iPhone, and the sandwiches plus drinks and tip was less than $15. (We're cheap dates, I guess).



My favorite was definitely the ham and brie (#87) but that might be because I was partial to the brie. The boyfriend's favorite was a tie between the chicken club (#95) and the chorizo and cream cheese (#64). The bottom line was that they were all quite good.



I'd say Spanish food is my new obsession, or at least one of them, and this is where I'm going to drag my friends the next time we're hungry.

0 comments:

Search This Blog

 

elizabeth norris Copyright © 2011 -- Template created by O Pregador -- Powered by Blogger